Department of Chemistry
The history of the chemistry department starts from its inception in 1967 in St. Mary's College and still continues its tradition of enlightened pursuit of excellence. In 1967 it was transplanted to Vimala College, under the able guidance of HOD Sr. Canisia where it attained the present status of the academic glory. Our faculty members are well qualified and experts in the subject areas. We take place at most interest in the all-round development of students with special emphasis to the character formation.
- Career oriented seminars
- Visits to industries like FACT, APPOLO tyres
- Institutional visits- IICT, Hyderabad, CUSAT, Kerala Agricultural University etc.
- Study tour
- Subject oriented Seminars and Lectures
Intercollegiate quiz competitions
- Participation in blood donation campaign
- Participation in N.C.C & N.S.S
- Rainwater harvesting
- Participation in arts festivals
- Three well furnished Laboratories
- Balance rooms
- Rain Water Harvesting unit
- Water Distillation unit
- Department library
- Corrosion less LPG connection
- Separate store rooms for acids, chemicals and glasswares
Innovations in teaching
- ICT enabled teaching
- Teaching aids like models of different molecules and crystal structure
- Group study, Discussion etc.
- Effective feedback system
- Remedial teaching
Teaching methods adopted to improve student learning:
- Special classes for weak students apart from the regular teaching hours
- Periodical test papers
- Participation of students in seminars conducted at various colleges.
- Seminars conducted in relevant topics included in their syllabus by experts.
- Invited talks by eminent persons for setting up a goal in their life and a guidance to achieve them.
- Visit to national laboratories to be acquainted with the various sophisticated instruments and for the analysis of various samples.
- Students are taken to University libraries for references which will certainly help in their higher studies.
- Tutorial system
- Personal counseling
- Self awareness programmes
- Classes on the topics like Role as a responsible student, friendship, Inner beauty and quality of life etc.
- Special Highlights
- UGC aided Projects : Major and Minor
- Publications of faculty members in reputed National and international journals
- High pass percentage with university ranks/grades
- Soil analysis
- Water analysis
- Soap making
- Visits to old age homes and poor homes