The department of commerce was established in the year 1975 with B.Com Course. In 1980, M.Com programme was introduced and later in 2012, B.Com Self Financing course also offered by the department. The department was upgraded as a Research Centre in the year 2013. At present it has eight Assistant Professors and four Assistant Professors on contract with rich experience in the field of teaching and research, with student strength of more than 380 in both graduate and post graduate programmes and three part time research scholars.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Link theory with practical as far as possible and give real life assignments related to the subject. Teachers make use of latest technology, ICT enabled classes, for handling classes.
- Research Centre
- Entrepreneurship Development Club, registered under District Industries Centre, Thrissur
- Faculties appointed as question papers setters of different colleges and universities and also acting as Resource Persons for Seminars and Workshops in other colleges and universities
- Faculties are in charge of important activities held in the college to mention a few, represent the College Council, PTA, Fine arts, Admissions, College Union Election, Nature club, NSS, Career guidance, VCASS, Alumnae etc.
- To familiarize the students with current management practices and the techniques of preparing financial statements.
- Understand business and its role in society, creating cost consciousness and ethical standards.
- To provide basic knowledge in application of Income Tax and Business laws.
- Identify and develop entrepreneurial talents and generate innovative business ideas through research.
To be an excellent provider of quality education in Commerce to young women, bringing out their hidden potentialities to gain economic independence by providing them ample opportunities for overall growth and development.